Renters Insurance – ERIE’s HomeProtector Program
Renters insurance is quite a bit broader than most people realize – and your landlord’s insurance quite a bit narrower.

While your landlord may be sympathetic following a kitchen stove fire or a break-in, the destruction or theft of your possessions is not usually covered by the landlord or property owner’s insurance. Renters insurance covers the contents of your apartment in case they’re stolen, burned up, blown away or vandalized.

Erie Insurance’s Tenantcover Policy* helps safeguards your personal property. The coverage — part of ERIE’s HomeProtector Program — is broad in coverage and solid in extra features.* It offers coverage for:

  • Loss of use, which covers additional living expenses if you need to relocate temporarily.
  • Personal liability for bodily injury, property damage or personal injury claims brought against you anywhere in the world.
  • Medical payments to others who are injured in an accident arising from your premises or personal activities.

Extra Features
Beyond the basic coverage, the Tenantcover Policy also protects you with extra features such as:

  • Coverage up to $2,500 for a loss due to theft, forgery or unauthorized use of a credit card and unknowingly accepting counterfeit money.
  • Payment up to the personal property limit for the loss of food inside a refrigerator or freezer due to power or mechanical failure.
  • Coverage up to $3,000 for theft of jewelry, watches and furs.
  • Reimbursement for fire extinguisher recharge after a fire loss.
  • Payment for replacement of automatic garage door transmitters that have been stolen. Coverage is also provided for cost to reprogram the frequency on additional transmitters and/or the control unit box.
  • Coverage up to $3,000 for theft of guns and related equipment.

Optional Coverages
Some optional coverages that you may choose to add to your Tenantcover Policy:

  • Replacement cost settlement on personal property – Pays the full cost to repair or replace damaged or stolen items.
  • Incidental business occupancy – Provides coverage for an incidental business conducted by the insured on the residence premises. Eligibility is limited to certain types of businesses.
  • Earthquake coverage – Offers protection for the shaking and cracking that can destroy buildings and personal possessions.
  • Scheduled personal property – Covers items such as jewelry, furs, cameras, musical instruments and fine arts for higher limits than the basic insurance policy provides.
  • Expanded endorsement – Increases the basic policy’s personal property amounts so the coverage limit for stolen jewelry, for example, would increase from $3,000 to $5,000.
  • Identity Recovery Coverage – Covers case management services, expense reimbursement and fraud in cases of personal identity theft.

If you rent and don’t have renter’s insurance, contact our agency as soon as possible. We can help ensure you have the right amount and type of insurance to protect you and your possessions.

Please note: This material is general in nature and for informational purposes only. Coverages, exclusions, limitations, policy terms and conditions and eligibility for discounts may vary from state to state and are subject to the underwriting guidelines, rates and rules in effect at the time of purchase. Please refer to the policy itself for definitions, coverages, exclusions and other terms and conditions.